Monday, October 18, 2021

5 Routines to Keep You Organized This School Year


An organized, clean classroom truly makes my heart happy! A clutter-free space relieves stress and makes my second-home a joyful place to be!  Here are 5 ways that I keep my classroom organized even during a chaotic school year.




1. Set aside a big chunk of time at the beginning to get your systems in place!

 As teachers, one thing we don't have a lot of is extra time. Sometimes it seems easier to just live with the clutter than take time to organize. But, investing time in developing organizational systems that work for you will save so much time in the long run! So grab a venti iced coffee and enjoy some quality alone time organizing!

 Everyone’s system will be different. You don’t need to go out and buy tons of new storage containers. Instead, gather what you already have and make a plan. If something isn’t working, don’t be afraid to change it! My first year teaching I made so many teaching binders for every subject and unit. Then I realized it was so much work to get out what I needed quickly, and put papers back after copying. I would have papers pile up on my table because I didn’t feel like putting them away (see tip 2). I ditched the binders and went to file folders the next year. While it was a pain to make a switch, I saved so much time in the long run!

If you are interested in reading about the organizational systems that have worked well for me, let me know in the comments and I will write a part 2!





2. Make sure things are easy to put away.

Have you seen the viral tiktok videos that tell you "Don't put it down! Put it away!"?This now plays in my head all day long. As teachers, we use so much stuff on a daily basis. It's easy to let everything pile up until you have a huge, overwhelming mess!

For me, the trick is having a place for every paper, center game, book, and math manipulative. Every single item that I use in my classroom needs to have a home. And these homes need to be as convenient as possible when it comes to putting things away. Because at the end of any exhausting school day, no teacher wants to run all over the classroom cleaning up materials! By making my storage systems as convenient as possible, I am able to clean as I go and avoid clutter piling up throughout the day.




3. Give students ownership of the space

 

An organized classroom also helps to create a positive classroom environment for students. I want my students to feel a sense of ownership in our classroom. When students know where learning materials are located and have access to them when needed, they feel empowered. If a student is working at a math center and needs a number line to solve a problem, my students know exactly which drawer number lines can be found. They also know that the number line should be put back as soon as they are finished with it! My last guided reading group of the day knows that it is their job to clean up the materials at the table. Students can also volunteer to be designated Classroom Organizers. After packing up at the end of the day, these students spend time looking for things out of place and returning them to their homes. When students know where things go and are able to put things away themselves, it will save so much time and energy for the teacher!



 

 

 4. Closing duties


Even after following tips 1, 2, and 3, there always seems to be some clutter at the end of a school day. This is where closing duties come in (this idea is also from TikTok- I might spend too much time there) This is my favorite tip! Every day after dismissal, set a timer for 10 minutes and play a favorite playlist filled with whatever makes you happy and energized. For me this includes a lot of Olivia Rodrigo and Taylor Swift. Use this time to put things away and make sure things are organized for the next day. It is amazing how much more I get done with a timer going. I love leaving school knowing that I will walk into a clean space the next morning!



Find Monthly Bin Labels here!



5. The Friday Reset


One of my favorite routines is a Friday Reset. I spend a little extra time after school doing some deep organizing for the next week. I make all my copies, switch out my seasonal books, sharpen dull pencils, restock my small group materials, and anything else that will help me to feel refreshed and ready to go for the next week. This helps me to truly be able to rest over the weekend!




You can find more organization products here!

What are your favorite routines and tips for staying organized? Let me know in the comments!





2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your tips! My goal is to become a teacher so I know a lot of this information will help me on the long run. Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed it! I hope you love teaching!

      Delete